Thursday, April 26, 2007

Talking and Tinkling?

So apparently I never had to deal with this issue before since my last company had a nice, unisex, onesy bathroom. But, now I am faced every day with having to make small talk in the bathroom. Talking while I tinkle? No, thank you. I find myself letting out a sigh of relief when I enter the room and no one is in there. And then it's a mad dash to finish before anyone else enters or time it perfectly so that I leave the stall while someone else is in the other stall and I am finished washing my hands before they leave (no desire to talk while someone else tinkles, either). I'm not sure where this phobia even comes from or why I continue to go through all this effort to avoid what is probably inevitable. Instead of spending all my energy on avoiding the tinkle talking, maybe I should put it to good use and learn to accept it. I mean everyone else seems to be ok with it - I guess I should be, too.

5 comments:

ginabnina said...

I too am an 'avoider' (and plan to stay that way). There's just something inherently WRONG about talking on the phone while using the potty....

Shauna said...

Totally agree. No need to chat. If you have something to say, can't it wait the 45 seconds?

On the other hand, I believe the talking is to divert the attention away from the sound of the actual bathroom action...just a though.

Chrissy said...

I am totally with you on this. It is okay to talk to a girlfriend while at the bar and tinkling but when a co-worker or in my case president of the company decides to discuss your satisfaction with accepting your new position with the company while clearing staying in the stall long enough to go #2 is is a little much. I did try to think of the brighter side that she felt comfortable enough around me to go #2 and talk at the same time but I just don't think that I am comfortable with that kind of comfort.

Bathroom talk should be banned!!!

Mandie said...

Oh G-d! I didn't even think of talking while others were doing #2 ... I would run out of the stall screaming!! No joke! I hate Poo!

Lauren Rauseo said...

I could not agree with you more. It is bad enough to have to face someone while washing hands, but to actually speak during stall time is my worst! The other day I was just doing my business when my boss started talking to me from the adjacent stall--I can only imagine that she was sleuthing my shoes and a glimpse of the bottom of my pants to figure out that it was me. Gross.